Thursday, June 11, 2015

Remarks on Death

(written May 18th, a Monday some year in the past decade)

I saw Death today
Written on the face
That boldly spoke truth.

I saw Death today
Riding across the chasm
From that face to me.

I heard Death today
Spoken from a mouth
That voiced understanding

I heard Death today
Ringing through a melody
From that band to me.

I felt Death today
Like a fingernail, sharp and hard,
Scratching Destiny into my heart.

I felt Death today
Sneaking in a window in the back of my mind
Shivers tearing through my being.

I tasted Death today
Like a marshmallow dropped in the ashes
All the sweetness killed by abscence of taste.

I tasted Death today
It's a poisonous cure
That reveals Life before snatching it away.

I smelled Death today
Though it came in whiffs and drafts
That was enough.

I met Death today-
He's not a Halloween costume.
He doesn't carry a scythe.

I met Death today-
You know, it wasn't really that bad
Because I caught glimpses of Life too.

I know Death now.
     You should meet him.
     He makes you think
     About How You should be living

I now know Death
Just like any acquaintance
We greet each other as we pass by
Just like old friends
We never forget the other's name
He brings bleak contrast through
Existence and the lack of -
But this is all false.

Death is not a person.
Death is but a door.

(I looked to see when Monday, May 18th was...and this year was an option...but I am fairly sure I did not write it this year. And yet, when everything blurs together like this...must have been 2009)


No comments:

Post a Comment